Project Name: Owen?s Playground at Hillcrest Elementary, Downers Grove, Illinois
Downers Grove, Illinois
Dedicated Play Space: 12,000 sq. ft.
Project Cost: $600,000
Opened August 2016
- Time to completion: 2 years
- Cost of playground: $600,000
- Number of play structures:
- Approximate size: 12,000 square feet
- Summary: Our first success was the construction of a new, universally-designed playground at Hillcrest Elementary School in Downers Grove, Illinois. Its features include:
- Connected structures so children can play with a group of peers
- More climbing structures
- A special Relaxation Station where they can read a book or have classes outdoors
- Equipment that offers sensory and vestibular input and allows all children to play, regardless of their ability
- Structures that adapt to a wheelchair or walker
- Recycled rubber instead of wood chips
- Wide double ramps to connect structures
- ?Buddy Benches? where students know to include children sitting alone at the bench
- Watch WGN News segment on the grand opening of Owen?s Playground at Hillcrest Elementary in Downers Grove, Illinois.
- Watch BCI Burke?s feature on the importance of inclusion and creating accessible playgrounds.
- Suburban Life, May 28, 2014: Downers Grove mom crowdfunds for inclusive Hillcrest playground by Ed McMenamin